Special Archery Deer Hunt
- The City of Aurora will implement its third archery deer hunt for 2021.
- Focus will be antlerless deer harvest for reduction of the local population.
- Hunt area = Approximately 1,500 acres.
- 90-day special archery deer hunt running concurrently with northeast Minnesota’s 2021 archery season.
- Dates for 2021 will be September 18 to December 31.
- Up to 15 archery hunters (Drawing if necessary); $20.00 fee if chosen.
- Applications are due by 4:30 pm on Wednesday, August 18, 2021. Drawing at 10:00 am on Friday, August 20, 2021.
- Crossbows will be allowed consistent with state-wide regulations.
- Bag Limit – One buck state-wide, regardless of method or where you hunt and
two (2) additional antlerless deer in managed harvest permit area to decrease population.
- A proficiency test will be required.
- Hunt boundaries are the City of Aurora city limits (Map and further information available at City Hall).
- Some areas closed for safety concerns.
- Private property - need landowner permission.
- Implement a cost-effective, safe strategy to reduce deer population for the long term.
- Reduce the potential for disease due to over population.
- Increase hunting pressure on antlerless deer to decrease reproduction.
- Reduce vehicle collisions and property damage.
- Reduce garden, tree and shrub damage.
- Disperse deer concentrations within the Aurora City limits.
- Reduce the “Refuge Effect”-Movement of deer into town during firearms season.
- ‘Managed’ designation to focus on additional antlerless harvest.
The 2021 Minnesota Hunting & Trapping Regulations can be found at mndnr.gov and/or facebook.com/mnwildlife. Thank you.