This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.


Burning Permits

Burning Permit FAQ

When do I need to obtain an open burning permit?
You need to obtain an open burning permit when:
  • You want to start an outdoor fire other than those in approved fire rings or circles.
  • You have a fire in an approved burner between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
How can burning permits be obtained?
What can I burn with a permit or in an approved burner?
You may burn vegetative material, such as grass, leaves, brush, and untreated lumber.
What materials cannot be burned?

State Law dictates that you may not burn:

  • hazardous wastes
  • industrial solid waste
  • demolition debris of commercial or institutional structures (farm buildings are not considered commercial structures)
  • salvage operations
  • motor vehicles
  • oils
  • rubber
  • plastics
  • chemically treated materials
  • other materials which produce excessive or noxious smoke, such as tires, railroad ties, chemically treated lumber, composite board, drywall, wiring, paint, or paint filters
  • garbage, defined as discarded material resulting from the handling, processing, storage, preparation, serving, or consumption of food.